Tuesday, April 8, 2014

In Time, The Deadman Ends



I think by now, everyone is at least calmed down after the events of Wrestlemania 30. But one thing I'm still coming to terms over one of the most shocking Wrestlemania moments to date: Brock Lesnar defeating The Undertaker to end the legendary streak. I've been watching WWE for a good 14 years now and I managed to witness almost half of that streak growing up. Let's go over the details before we can continue (don't worry Wario, I'm not counting more people here lol)

I watched Wrestlemania X-Seven and witnessed Undertaker's return to the grand stage since Wrestlemania 15. From X-Seven to 30, Taker managed to go match after match, year after year, slaying his victims again and again. Over the course of the entire streak, he beat 18 people to keep the streak intact. Kane and Shawn Michaels tied with two attempts and Triple H with three attempts. At Wrestlemania 30 however, Brock Lesnar is the man; he's the one out of 18 others that did the unthinkable and finally killed the Streak. But this is not a post about stats. This is actually a post on a song that was featured during this match between Taker and Lesnar and I feel that it's a bit of a foreshadow to the end of the Deadman's Streak at Wrestlemania.

Mark Collie wrote a song called, "In Time" and it was used as the main theme between The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar. After listening to the song in full a few times, I come to terms that the song gives a foreshadowing to Undertaker and how the Streak either continued or ended. If you put the lyrics into context, you can see a strong connection and it works.

"I Can Hear What Your Thinking
All Your Doubts And Fears
And if you look in my eyes in time you'll find the reason I'm here
And in time all things shall pass away
In time you may come back some day
To live once more
Or die once more
But in time your time will be no more
You know your days are numbered
Count them one by one

Like notches in the handle of an outlaws gun
You can out run the devil if you try
But you'll never outrun the hands of time
And in time there surely come a day
And in time all things shall pass away
And in time you'll come back, some say
To live once more
Or die once more
But in time your time will be no more
I can hear what your thinking"

I think it foreshadows how Taker comes and goes but most importantly, I think it foreshadows the end of the Streak, in a way that it describes how Taker could possibly feel right now."You know your days are numbered, count them one by one, like the notches in the handle of an outlaws gun." When it comes to others trying to beat Taker, their days were numbered. Taker has been described as an outlaw and every victim that was defeated was like a notch on his gun, to tell everyone that he defeated someone.

But The Deadman is just that, a deadman. "You can out run the devil if you try, but you'll never outrun the hands of time." Like what Lee said, Taker should've left after 20 and 0 but he continued and time just caught up to the Deadman and it cost him. One last thing I can say, "And in time all things pass away, in time you may come back someday/and in time you'll come back, some say." These two quotes perfect tell how the Undertaker is with the Streak.

On one hand, all things pass away, how Taker comes back someday and challenges the next victim. But on the other hand, some say he returned and passed his way. Time caught up to Undertaker and it cost him the Streak. All things pass away, The Streak died at Wrestlemania 30.

Now, looking back, I watched Undertaker from becoming The American Bad Ass, Big Evil, Deadman, The Last Outlaw and back to The Deadman before the end of the Streak. I watched 13 of his matches out of the 22 he had, 8 was before I started watching wrestling and 14 after I started watching wrestling so in a way, I grew up with the second half of Undertaker's Streak. Am I happy that the Streak died? No. But am I happy that I witnessed the Streak end? Yes. You know why?

Twenty years from now, I will remember the Day The Streak Died. 

No comments:

Post a Comment