Monday, March 16, 2015

When Y2Jant Comes Around

April 1st, 2001. This date will solidify everything that I like about wrestling. A few months ago, I watched on PPV for the first time as Kurt Angle defeated The Rock to become the WWF Champion. Wrestlemania X_Seven would mark the first time I would see a Wrestlemania, with all my friends. The first time where uneaten pizza was left to the side as we watch Austin shake hands with the devil himself. I told myself, in front of my friends, that my dream will be the attend the show of shows.

Fourteen years later, my dream is just a mere 13 days away.

Sometimes, you have a chance to reflect on everything that has happened in the last 14 years I've been watching wrestling. I started at a time where WCW was almost out of business and wouldn't know it existed until the InVasion started. In that time, I went from a fan, to a mark, back down to a fan with self-control (depending really). In that time, my all time favorite wrestler, Eddie Guerrero, passed away and changed my focus on wrestling. Instead of just looking at one thing, I now know that wrestling isn't about one company.

It's fitting that after all this time, I get to go to my first Wrestlemania. The excitement I feel continues to grow. Regardless of what others think, I'm excited for everything I see on the card right now. It's also fitting that I could meet a good friend there as well.

Seven years ago, I was surfing Myspace (remember that old place?) and stumbled upon a group of wrestling themes run by Double A. And it was at Wrestlemania 24, I listened live as he and Lex talked wrestling and that night's event and from there on, I was a fan. And I may have a chance to meet Lex and shake his hand and tell him thank you, for entertaining me and many of you guys for years, if it was on The Rant or sharing a laugh with Lee.

Come March 29th, I will be giddy, excited and probably in awe. Many people in this world say dreams are just a mere thing that people shouldn't strive to follow. But when I enter Levi's Stadium and look at the set, I know one thing for certain:

My dream will finally come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment